As many of you may know, I have the unfortunate experience of having dealt with a child hurt in a preschool/daycare environment. The only way real learning is achieved in this area is through mistakes and tragedies. I hope this is useful to parents and caretakers of toddlers. (scroll down)
1. The facility is licensed in your state and fully insured for liability.
(unlicensed & home day-cares, even if legal in your area, are gambles and should be avoided)
2. The facility completes full background & reference checks on ALL employees, including those related to the owner/s.
3. The facility should have the following policies in place is some form.
a. No employee will ever be left alone with any child. The ratio of child:teacher must include this consideration.
b. Security/Surveillance video will be running from the time the 1st child arrives until the last one leaves. The footage will be recorded & reviewed regularly, and physically monitored at vulnerable times..ie naps etc...
c. Access to the facility will be restricted. The physical structure will require authorization to enter be requested from outside the facilty.
4. Both parents (if a 2 parent home) will meet the teachers, and specifically spend a few minutes with those directly responsible for the care of their child. (when any discomfort or unease is experienced...Do Not Ignore it)
5. Whenever the facility transports children for "field trips", policies will be in place to insure...
a. all children are counted and accounted for upon boarding and exiting every-time!
b. the vehicle and driver will be background checked and under the constant supervision of the facility staff whenever children are present.
6. The facility will provide progress reports on a regular basis and be available for meeting with parents or guardians upon request and
7. You cannot think of or cover every possibility. However, if you insure the facility is doing all they can do protect your children, then
check, re-check & verify. Listen to voice you heard the day you became a parent...and require commonsense from those charged
will the lives or your most precious responsibility.
As usual, this is My Opinion...If one child is spared abuse and injury because someone remembered to ask these questions. I have accomplished something today.